When it comes to enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems for distribution, you have plenty to choose from. However, with the dozens of distribution management systems out there, only one is perfect for your business. How do you decide which one is right for you?
When looking at your available options, you can filter through the features and capabilities of the different systems to identify what is important to you and your staff. There are five categories you should consider:
- Productivity: One of the things to consider is how the system will help with your staff’s productivity. Some of the features you should look for is if it’s easy to use or if it’s easily accessible, either from work or home, on a laptop or a phone. If your company uses multiple currencies or multiple languages, you should find a system that supports those capabilities.
- Functionality: What are the basic features and functions that your business needs your new system to do? This could include inventory control management, business intelligence integration or multi entity support.
- Technology: What technology does the system leverage for usability, customizability, and maintainability? For example, having a true cloud system may be important for your business. This allows you to access the system on any browser or device, without having to download a separate application.
- Value: How does the features and functions stack up to the lifetime cost of the system? In addition, would this system scale with you as your business grows?
- Risk: How secure is the system (both network and financial security)? Look out for how secure the data on your server and what are the backup and disaster recovery options.
Picking a new distribution ERP system can be daunting. To help you compare your options, you can use this Distribution Management System Evaluation Checklist, courtesy of Acumatica. The checklist will help you figure out what’s important and what’s not. Download the free checklist here.
At NexTec Group, we can help you find which ERP system works for you and your distribution company. Contact us today to see how NexTec can help you select and implement your distribution management system.