Produce growers have complex challenges to ensure that products are fresh, safe to consume and flavorful. But with increasing operational costs and lower prices, agricultural producers need to do more to reduce waste and improve profitability.
An enterprise resource planning (ERP) software solution like Sage X3 gives your agricultural business the ability to automate, trace and report on production at every stage. Here’s a look at how Sage X3 benefits agricultural produce growers.
Challenges for agribusiness
Fresh produce companies are facing complicated times, with price constraints, increasing costs, more legislative control, political uncertainty with international markets and scarce resources. Here are some of the major issues facing agribusiness:
- Compliance. New regulations, such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Food Safety Modernization Act, have placed additional regulatory burdens on manufacturers and producers. New obligations require more tracking of pesticides and fertilizers used, storage processes, security and customers. A quality control program integrated into your work processes is critical.
- Cost Pressure. Agribusinesses today face narrow margins that can be thrown haywire with the slightest disruption. The right ERP can give you real-time insights to make smarter, more profitable decisions.
- Political Uncertainty. Ongoing trade disputes with key global customers have meant agribusinesses are often stuck in the middle.
- Customer Expectations. Customers expect products today that are local, organic and grown using sustainable practices. They increasingly want flavors and products from around the globe.
The complexities and challenge make it clear that the right ERP can make a major difference.
What an industry-specific ERP provides
An agricultural ERP can deliver the tools and collaboration that will improve your business at every level. With an industry-specific ERP solution, your business benefits from having:
- A centralized system that can automate processes and manage information and reporting across sales, supply chain, inventory and accounting using a single database
- Comprehensive management of your growing operations, including harvest details and attributes
- Optimized planning for the season with specificity options down to the day and/or the crop, including seed and fertilizer inputs, employee and machinery scheduling and harvest analytics
- Effective inventory management tools such as expiration data tracking and first-in-first-out processes to reduce spoilage and waste
- Data security
- Forecasting, management and analytics on crop estimates, maturity dates, pricing using current and historical data
- Scalability to expand as demand and needs evolve
- Compliance management that ensures adherence to multiple regulatory mandates, including the elimination of manual processes with automated data capturing, monitoring and reporting while reducing the risk of errors
Sage X3 is the right ERP for agribusinesses looking to improve efficiency, reduce costs, provide transparency and act quickly. With a deep understanding of agribusiness’ needs, Sage delivers an ERP that features:
- Integrated processes including planting, harvesting, accounting, supply chain, retail operations, farm management, imports and exports, human resources, contracts and sales management
- Cost calculation functions for accurate costing, forecasting, pricing and analytics about farms, contractors and machines
- End-to-end traceability
- Management of formulas, recipes, byproducts, potency, shelf life and packaging
NexTec helps agribusinesses select, deploy and optimize business software and is a Sage Platinum Reseller. Learn more about how NexTec and Sage can transform your agribusiness.